Prometheus Rising is a book by Robert Anton Wilson first published in 1983. It is a guide book of “how to get from here to there”, an amalgam of Timothy Leary’s 8-circuit model of consciousness , Gurdjieff’s self-observation exercises, Alfred Korzybski ‘s general semantics , Aleister Crowley ‘s magical theorems , Sociobiology , Yoga , relativity , and quantum mechanics, including other approaches to understanding the world, and claiming to be a short book (under 300 pages) about how the human mind works Wilson describes it as an “owner’s manual for the human brain”.
The book examines many aspects of social mind control and mental imprinting, and provides mind exercises at the end of each chapter, with the goal of giving guidance to one’s mind works. The concept of psychoactive substances and how they affect the brain, tantric breathing techniques, and other methods and holistic approaches to expanding consciousness. It draws a parallel between the development of one’s mind and the development of higher intelligence theorized by biological evolution .
Prometheus Rising was copyrighted and published in 1983 but began as Wilson’s Ph.D. dissertation called “The Evolution of Neuro-Sociological Circuits: A Contribution to the Sociobiology of Consciousness” in 1978-79 for Paideia University in California.  In 1982, while in Ireland, Wilson rewrote the manuscript for commercial publication, removing footnotes , improving the style, adding chapters and exercises, and sketching out diagrams for the illustrations. Eventually Wilson submitted the work to New Falcon Publications , which accepted it within 48 hours. Wilson received his advance 48 hours after that, according to his preface in the tenth printing of Prometheus Rising .
The current edition also includes an introduction by Israel Regardie .
Influence on other works
The book’s guide to the oven atavistic Life Scripts become the main seed thought for the Sekhmet Hypothesis , specifically the idea of applying the scripts to pop cultural trends. 
Prometheus Rising is listed as one of the ten seminal works of extropian thought in the Extropianism FAQ.  It was listed aussi is Max More ‘s reading list for extropians , the Immortality Institute’s reading list in The Scientific Conquest of Death , and other reading lists for extropians and transhumans .   
- Jump up^ “Robert Anton Wilson.” St. James Guide to Science Fiction Writers, 4th ed. St. James Press, 1996. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. Farmington Hills, Michigan.: Thomson Gale. 2007.
- Jump up^ Spence, Iain (2012). The Hare Hypothesis. Bast’s Blend. ASIN B009E2YUJM. (Re-named from the originalSekhmet Hypothesis) Chapter 1 – Does the Society ‘Dream’ Youth Trends? In this book, Wilson makes a brief remark that a correlation exists between the archetype of the Gentle Angel from archaic symbolism with the symbol of the Flower Child from modern times. From this subject, but a series of social archetypes based on our instinctive and emotional nature.
- Jump up^ Robert Munafo (January 1, 2015), Selected items from the Extropianism FAQ , retrieved 2015-02-03
- Jump up^ The Extropian Principles 2.5 , July 1993
- Jump up^ Extropian & Transhumanist Books , Nanotech-now.com, July 28, 2011
- Jump up^ The Scientific Conquest of Death: Essays on Infinite Lifespans (contents) , Immortality Institute, 2004, ISBN 9875611352